How to Report Abuse

How Do I Report Child Abuse or Neglect?

If you suspect that a child has been abused or neglected, call:
Nebraska:        1-800-652-1999 (CPS Hotline)    OR     Local Law Enforcement
Iowa:                1-800-362-2178 (DHS Hotline)    OR     Local Law Enforcement

Who Should Report Child Abuse?

Each state has its own reporting requirements.  Some states require that every adult who suspects abuse makes a report.  Other states very clearly define which persons and professions are required to make reports.  It is important to know the reporting laws in your state.  You do not have to be certain that abuse has occurred to make a report. 

Mandatory Reporters in Nebraska
In Nebraska, everyone is a mandatory reporter.  This means physicians, medical institutions, nurses, school employees, social workers or any other person who has reasonable cause to believe that a child has been subjected to abuse or neglect is required by law to make a report to the CPS Hotline and/or Law Enforcement. (Nebraska Revised Statute 28-711)

Mandatory Reporters in Iowa
In Iowa, every health care practitioner who in the scope of professional practice examines, attends, or treats a child, and who believes the child has been abused, is required to make a report.  In addition, the following professions are also required to make reports:
  1. A social worker
  2. An employee of public or private health care facilities
  3. A certified psychologist
  4. A licensed school employee, certified para-educator, holder of a coaching authorization, or an instructor employed by a community college
  5. An employee or operator of licensed child care centers, registered child development homes, head start programs, family development and self-sufficiency grant programs, or healthy opportunities for parents to experience success- healthy families Iowa program.
  6. An employee or operator of a substance abuse program or facility
  7. An employee of a department of human services institution
  8. An employee or operator of a juvenile detention or juvenile shelter care facility
  9. An employee or operator of a mental health center
  10. A peace officer
  11. A counselor or mental health professional
  12. An employee or operator of a provider of services to children funded under a federal approved medical assistance home and community-based waiver.
In Iowa, any other person who believes that a child has been abused may make a report, but is not required under the law to do so. 
Iowa law requires that when a person becomes aware of abuse, or suspects abuse, a report is made within 24 hours.  (2016 Code of Iowa Section 232.69)